Friday, February 1, 2008

Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls

I made a batch of these last night and they were so good and so quick that I decided to share them. My sister and I both wanted something sweet last night, but nearly everything we thought of involved at least one ingredient that we did not have. Finally I realized that there was a can of biscuits hanging out in the refrigerator door. I promptly decided that biscuit cinnamon rolls were in order and went to the house to borrow their rolling pin. Now, you're going to have to bear with me a bit here because I like to see pictures to go along with recipes, but I don't have a camera; and I am notoriously bad about measuring anything, so most measurements are guesstamations if they even exist. And finally, the recipe:

You will need:
1 can of biscuits, or you can make homemade dough if you like; a stick of butter; sugar; cinnamon; and anything else that you want in them, raisins or other dried fruit would be excellent, as would nuts

Start 3 to 4 tablespoons of butter melting. Open the biscuit can and flatten the column, keep them stacked on top of each other because they will try to separate at any seams when rolled. Flour the cabinet and your rolling pin and roll the flattened stack of biscuits out in rectangular shape until it is about this big *gestures*. I think that it was about 3/8 inches thick and 2 1/2 times as long as it was wide. Pour the butter over the top spreading it all around and all the way to both short edges and 1 long edge and close to the fourth edge, it will probably pool, this is good. Now start another tablespoon or two melting. Mix about half a cup of sugar with enough cinnamon that the mixture is properly brown, you know how much you like. Add any other spices you want to the mix. Sprinkle the stuff liberally over the buttered surface of the dough. I mean pile it thick, nothing worse that getting a plain biscuit because someone was stingy with the cinnamon and sugar. Save what is left for your toast in the morning. If you want fruit or nuts dice them up tiny and sprinkle them on now; I wanted almonds or pecans, but we didn't have any. Now, starting at the long edge that has the most butter, roll it up snugly but not too tight. Get a knife and cut it into slices about as thick as the original biscuits were. Lay them out on whatever you would like to cook them on and poor the butter over the top of them. Bake according the biscuit package directions, and start working on the glaze.


The glaze I think is what made these so wonderful. It was a bit of an experiment since I didn't have what I needed to make a classic glaze.

You will need:
The rest of the stick of butter (2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons), about an ounce of cream cheese, sugar, milk, and vanilla

Put the butter and cream cheese in a small saucepan and pour in enough milk that you don't have to worry about them trying to burn, then add another splash for good measure. Stir until the butter melts. The cream cheese probably won't melt, but mash it up so the chunks are small. Add sugar until it taste sweet enough, I think I used about half a cup. Splash in a couple of teaspoons of vanilla. Sample. Add whatever you feel like adding. Sample again.

When the biscuit come out of the oven, poor the glaze over them. Wait a few minutes (or 30 seconds) then devour them.


It only took me about 20-25 minutes from borrowing the rolling pin to returning it with hot samples, and all of the ingredients were things that even we, who have no room for anything extraneous and no time to bake, had on hand. Enjoy


Quote:
The Steinway people have asked me to announce that this is a Baldwin piano.
-Victor Borge


So long

4 comments:

The Park Wife said...

Thanks for coming to my site!

I am sorry you lost some blog, I would love toknow about what you are studying, interests, etc. I miss college, I had ALOT of fun.

The Park Wife

Sue said...

Those sound delicious. I love the comic on the post below - hysterical!

Blessed said...

Keep up the tradition - improvising it's what we girls are best at!

Anonymous said...

I knew you knew you had what it takes to be a good house wife ;)